LAST UPDATED: May 2018
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT COOKIES
Cookies are small text files that are stored on your computer or mobile device when you visit a website. For this section, we conveniently use “cookies” as an umbrella term for techniques such as cookies, Flash cookies and web beacons. They don’t take much space and they will be removed automatically when expired. Some cookies expire at the end of your internet session, while others will be saved for a limited amount of time.
There are different types of cookies with different uses. Some are there just to allow you to browse the website and see certain features. Some give us an idea on your browsing experience, i.e. when you have trouble finding what you are looking for, so we can improve and make your future visit as pleasant as possible.
Cookies set by Ocubis are called “first party cookies”. Cookies set by parties other than us are called “third party cookies”. Third party cookies enable third party features or functionality to be provided on or through the website (e.g. like advertising, interactive content and analytics). The parties that set these third party cookies can recognise your computer or mobile both when it visits the website in question and also when it visits certain other websites. We use first party and third party cookies for several reasons.
The most important cookies are the required cookies. They are essential and help you to navigate on the website and to use basic features, such as media plugins. Then there are functionality cookies that enable you to make an enquiry through our live-chat or online enquiry form. The performance and analytics cookies we use to improve our website. We also like to show you relevant promotions. To manage this we collect browsing data, which may be linked to a unique identifier to allow us to understand how you interact with Ocubis across different platforms as described in our privacy statement (click here for our privacy statement). Interaction cookies are used for you to interact with social media or to submit reviews. Targeting cookies, advertising cookies and social media cookies capture your preferences in order to show you relevant ads outside Ocubis sites. In addition, social media cookies may be used to track your activity over social media platforms.
- REQUIRED COOKIES
are essential and help you navigate, move around on the website and see certain features (e.g. these cookies make sure your basket is saved during all the steps of your checkout process). These cookies are required to enable core site functionality. These cookies are stored for the duration of your browsing session.
- FUNCTIONALITY AND ANALYTICS COOKIES
are there so we can give you an even smoother customer experience (e.g. these cookies help you to continue conversations with us after closing your session). These cookies allow us to analyse site usage so we can measure and improve performance. These cookies may be placed by us or a third party on our behalf (see our cookie opt-out tool) and are stored for the duration of your browsing session.
- ADVERTISING AND SOCIAL MEDIA COOKIES
- will remember your preferences or assist marketing efforts in other ways. These cookies enable us to share data, such as what you like, with our advertisers, so the advertisement you see can be more relevant to your preferences (sometimes referred to as “targeting cookies”).
- help us to understand behaviour of visitors. This enables us to keep improving our website, so usage becomes easier and more pleasant, and to improve the marketing messages we send to our Members and potential clients (sometimes referred to as “performance cookies”).
- are used for you to express your opinion. These cookies will enable you to like or recommend us on social media and to chat with our service agents.
WHAT IF YOU DON’T LIKE COOKIES?
You can change your browser settings to delete or prevent certain cookies from being stored on your computer or mobile device without your explicit consent. The ‘help’ section in your browser should provide information on how to manage your cookie settings. Find out how this works for your browser here:
- Internet Explorer: https://support.microsoft.com/help/17442/windows-internet-explorer-delete-manage-cookies
- Mozilla Firefox: http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Cookies
- Google Chrome: http://www.google.com/support/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=95647
- Safari: http://support.apple.com/kb/PH5042
- Opera: http://www.opera.com/browser/tutorials/security/privacy/
- Adobe (flash cookies): http://www.adobe.com/privacy/policies/flash-player.html
Note that you may visit http://www.aboutads.info/choices or http://www.youronlinechoices.eu/ to learn about the options that some of the third parties we work with offer for opting out of certain ad targeting activities. You will need to visit those websites from each browser and device that you would like to be covered by your opt-out. Because the opt-out tools may depend on cookies, you may need to visit these sites again to reinstate your preferences if you delete your cookies.
HOW OFTEN WILL YOU UPDATE THIS COOKIE STATEMENT?